Planning Meeting - November 23, 2009
From Workshop 88
 Opening Remarks
 Introductions of any new attendees
 Review of previous minutes
 Review and approve agenda
 Reports from officers
 Acting President
 Notes on current web presence
- Blog - is up and available at http://blog.workshop88.com/, email email@example.com for more.
- Wiki - is availiable at http://wiki.workshop88.com, all are encouraged to add their personal and project info to it as we get going.
- Twitter - twitter.com/workshop88, we're also planning on somehow tying this in to the facebook page.
- Mail - mailing list firstname.lastname@example.org is up. Everyone should get on info@ and announce@ to keep up to date.
- Calendar - is forthcoming.
- Meet-up - should be considered as a coordination tool.
 Incorporation Procedures
See http://www.illinoislegalaid.org/index.cfm?fuseaction=home.dsp_content&contentid=4133 for a very thorough description of the process.
We should get on incorporation sooner rather than later, as receiving an actual 501(c)(3) status can take quite a long time in Illinois. Anyone with information as per a lawyer we can seek for some (cheap/free) advice as we get going should email email@example.com.
 Acting Vice President
 Blog design progress
- Planned content - blog is up and in development, considering a badass layout scheme reminiscent of www.ravelry.com or other DIY coordination sites. Logo is solid.
- Request for comments on other content - we are going to add shortly
- a want/need/have list to the wiki.
- current projects/current project needs on the wiki so we can start getting coordinated.
- a place for members to add their info on the wiki.
- somewhere to discuss a tentative/planned budget.
- somewhere to link to prospective locations for the physical space!
- a list of membership qualities to look for in potential members.
- Continue looking or does everybody think this one is awesome? Logo is awesome
 Acting Secretary
 Report on visit to PS:One
Things to keep in mind:
- Look for recruitment in all types/walks of life:
- Any project you start, you should start by checking hackerspaces.org and the already established hackerspaces for info: someone's probably done something like what you're planning already.
- Anyone who wants too, should be encouraged to prepare talks to be held for both charitable/fundraising reasons. This, for most successful spaces, constitutes a large portion of income.
 Report on progress drafting bylaws
Check out the bylaws on the wiki as they are a work in progress. A suggestion area will be put up for suggestions & brainstorming, remember; these are just a starting point for some formality for eventual membership/voting/election processes and a formal declaration of our 501(c)(3) intentions.
 Old business
 Goals for launch
 Equipment List
Will be set up on the wiki for population.
 Membership structure
Consider multiple membership rates (student discounted rate) and possible family packages. Look in to the minimum age requirement for insurance reasons. We will be going with a traditional one man, one vote structure.
- :CueCats! - Do somethin' with em'!
- Arduino dog collar - how far does your dog actually walk?
- For those who have access: amateur radio.
- A good first group project: balloon telemetry (this time with a real boy!).
- An array of RGB LEDs - visualization badassery!
- Fill out the project page on the wiki until we have the blog or other resources up and available for coordination. Get a group together who's interested, build these things!
 New business
- Everyone please put up some info on the wiki, at least so we can cooridinate future meeting times and future meeting locations.
- Start collecting stuff you might find useful to the hackerspace now, check craigslist and papers for people donating things that could be useful.
- Put up info on the want/need/have list on the wiki.
- Join the mailing list if you haven't already.
- We will put up a google maps page to mark people's locations.
- We will set up a mailing list for social events.
- Next meeting will tentatively be scheduled for Dec. 7th.